July 26, 2023
The Ultimate Guide to Charleston: Charleston's Waterfront Activities
Welcome to The Ultimate Guide to Charleston! As more buyers are moving to our beautiful coastal city, we want to welcome them with open arms and the best insight to call our area home… and who better to do that than South Carolina’s homebuilder of choice: Hunter Quinn Homes.
Charleston, SC, offers a plethora of exciting waterfront activities due to its location on the coast. From relaxing beach days to thrilling water sports, there's something for everyone. Here are some of the best waterfront activities to enjoy in Charleston:
1. Local Beaches: Charleston boasts several area beaches, each with its own unique set of characteristics and activities. Folly Beach, located just off James Island, is one of Charleston's most popular beaches, known for its laid back “surf town” atmosphere and variety of nearby restaurants. On the other side of the peninsula, Sullivan’s Island and Isle of Palms are nearby choices with soft sand, gentle waves, and beautiful sunsets. No matter which beach you choose to visit, you can sunbathe, swim, play beach volleyball, build sandcastles, or simply take a leisurely stroll along the shore.
2. Waterfront Park: Located in downtown Charleston, Waterfront Park is a charming green space overlooking the Cooper River. It features walking paths, the famous pineapple fountain, and swings, making it a perfect spot for a relaxing picnic or enjoying the views of the Charleston Harbor.
3. Kayaking and Paddleboarding: Rent a kayak or paddleboard and explore the many waterways and marshes around Charleston. The area is rich in wildlife, and you can spot various bird species and even dolphins if you're lucky. Shem Creek is a popular spot for kayaking, with dolphins known to weave between passing boats!
4. Harbor Tours: Take a guided boat tour of Charleston Harbor to learn about the city's history and see iconic landmarks like Fort Sumter, the Battery, and the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge from the water.
5. Sailing Charters: If you prefer a more luxurious experience, consider booking a sailing charter. Enjoy the breeze as you sail around the harbor, soak in the scenic views, and maybe even catch a glimpse of the bottlenose dolphins that frequent the area.
6. Fishing Charters: For fishing enthusiasts, there are numerous in-shore and off-shore fishing charters available in Charleston. You can try your luck at catching various species of fish while enjoying a day on the water.
7. Jet Skiing: Rent jet skis and zip around the water for an adrenaline-pumping experience. Several rental companies offer guided tours to ensure safety and show you the best spots to explore.
8. Morris Island Lighthouse: Take a boat or kayak to Morris Island to see the historic Morris Island Lighthouse up close. It's a great place for photography and exploring the deserted shoreline hunting for shark teeth.
9. Waterfront Restaurants: Charleston has several waterfront restaurants and bars where you can savor delicious seafood dishes while gazing at the harbor. Some of the most popular include Fleet Landing, Island Cabana Bar, and Shem Creek, which has several to choose from.
10. Sunset Cruises: End your day with a relaxing sunset cruise. Many companies offer evening boat tours that allow you to witness breathtaking sunsets over the water.
Remember to check weather conditions and make reservations for any guided activities in advance to ensure a seamless and enjoyable experience during your time in Charleston.
A new home from Hunter Quinn Homes means the beautiful Charleston waterfront is never far away. Browse our list of available homes or contact Madison with your new home questions!